Certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a specialist in civil litigation
Certified by the law society as a specialist in civil litigation
Laurie’s practice focuses solely on serious personal injury cases and insurance-related litigation, including wrongful death cases, motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall cases and disability insurance claims.
Since commencing law practice in 2001, Laurie has dedicated herself to ensuring the highest level of service to her clients, providing the advice and support needed to guide them through the litigation process. Laurie understands that she and her team play an important role in helping clients understand their rights and obligations as they seek to rebuild their lives after an accident.
Laurie has been a member of the Board of Directors of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA) since 2004 (with a short hiatus). Laurie is currently serving a one year term as the President of OTLA. Laurie has also chaired and presented papers at OTLA’s continuing legal education conferences and authored articles for its publication, The Litigator. She has been invited to speak at many other conferences, including the American Association for Justice and the County of Carleton Law Association’s Annual Civil Litigation Conference and was a member of their planning committee from 2012 to 2019. Laurie is also a member of the Advocates’ Society and has done work for their Child Advocacy Project and the Pro Bono Refugee Sponsorship Support Program.
Laurie is a former member of the Board of Directors for the Youville Centre, an Ottawa non-profit organization which assists young mothers and their children by providing education and daycare in a specialized setting, allowing the young moms to complete high school.
In February 2010, Laurie was awarded the prestigious Regional Senior Justice Award for outstanding contribution to the community and the legal profession. In October 2013, Laurie was awarded the Women’s Caucus Award by the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association. And in May 2016, Laurie received the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association’s Distinguished Service Award.
Laurie articled at a local Ottawa firm, joined that firm as an associate following her call to the Bar in 2001, and later was a partner of the firm. In 2014, Laurie was pleased to continue her work alongside her long-time team including partners, Colleen Burn and Éliane Lachaîne, at Burn Tucker Lachaîne, a firm dedicated exclusively to personal injury work on behalf of injured persons.
Laurie obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree (Honours History) from the University of Waterloo in 1996 and her law degree from Queen’s University in 1999, before moving to Ottawa to practice law.
Outside of her practice, Laurie enjoys the outdoors with her dogs, spending time with family and friends, traveling, reading and attending the theatre and ballet. Laurie is also a volunteer with Mothercraft’s Birth Companion Program and with the Slay Society in Ottawa.
Areas of Practice
- Motor Vehicle Claims
- Slip and Fall and Other Injury Claims
- Disability Claims
- Fatality Claims
Education and Admissions to the Bar
Called to the Bar of Ontario, Canada 2001
Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, LL.B., 1999
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, B.A. (Honours History), 1996
Presentations and Published Works
- Presenter, Assessment of Damages in Fatal Accidents, LSO 5th Motor Vehicle Litigation Summit, September 2022, Toronto (virtual)
- Panellist, Post-Pandemic Practice, OTLA Fall Conference 2021, Toronto (virtual)
- Program Organizer; Ontario Trial Lawyer’s Association’s “Helmets on Kids”, 2008 – Present
Annual fundraising and distribution of bike helmets to elementary school students in Ottawa, Cornwall and Renfrew.
- Planning Committee Member; County of Carleton Law Association Civil Litigation, 2012 – 2019
Part of the committee that organizes our annual regional litigation conference.
- Pro Bono Lawyer; Pro Bono Refugee Sponsorship Support Program, October 2015
- Member of Board of Directors; Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA), May 2019 – Present
- Member of Board of Directors; Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA), May 2007 – April 2016
- Pro Bono Lawyer; REACH Canada, 2004 – Present
- Member of Board of Directors; Chair of the New Lawyer Division; Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (OTLA), May 2004 – May 2007
- Volunteer Caseworker and Third Year Division Leader; Queen’s University Legal Aid Clinic, September 1996 – April 1999
What Laurie’s Clients Say About Her
Read Laurie’s Most Recent Blogs and Articles
February 4, 2023
August 28, 2022
May 30, 2021